Oct 9, 2012

Nail Tutorial: Leopard Print

I've always wanted to do a few nail art tutorials on the blog. I thought I'd start off with one of my favourite designs, leopard print is one of the first designs I learned when I really got into doing my nails. It's pretty simple to do and fun!
For this tutorial you'll need; Two different coloured nail polishes, (I usually use the darker colour as the base and the lighter as the blobs.) Your favourite top coat, (I totally recommend Seche Vite!) and you'll need a black nail art pen.
You can also use black nail polish and a pin or a thin brush. You also don't really even need to use black, but dark colours look better for the outlines.
1) Start off with your base colour and put on as many layers as you need/want. I only did one coat of this blue. Make sure you wait for it to dry. If you want to rush things a bit, put on a layer of your top coat to speed things up.

TIP: I usually put on my base colour and wear it around for a day or two. Leopard print is a great way to hide any chips you get!
2) Add some random 'blobs' on your nails, you don't need a lot of nail polish on the brush for this part. Your blobs don't have to be perfect, infact the weirder the shape the better your nails will look in the end. I do usually try to keep my blobs all the same size though. Also try to leave enough space between the blobs.

 TIP: I usually do about 4 - 7 blobs depending on my nail size. Pinky usually gets 4 or 5 blobs, thumb will get 6 or 7. I personally found that 5 is the best number of blobs for my nails.
This is what my nails looked like after step 2. The blobs don't take much time to dry, I usually wait about 5 minutes before going to the next step.
3) Now for the fun part. Time to outline your blobs. A good way of doing this is to outline the blobs using a 'C' or 'U' shape, (think, brackets!) You don't want to make a complete circle around any of your blobs. You also don't have to make the lines perfectly straight. The more 'wiggly' the lines the nicer the look.
4) Hey, you're done! Make sure you wait for the outlines to fully dry before putting on your top coat, or you'll smudge your design. Especially if you're using a nail art pen (those are usually water base).

Some more TIPS:
- You don't have to just use one colour for the blobs. You can experiment using 2 or more colours, depending on what look you're going for.
- If you're trying this for the first time, I would say, try to keep your blobs small. Rather have small blobs than too big and not be able to properly outline them. When the blobs and outlines are too big and touching eachother your nails look messy.
- Go slowly when outlining. Practise on some paper if you can before. Your one hand will probably look a lot better than the other. The more you do leopard print, the better you'll get!
Aren't leopard print nails fun? :D

P.S. If you're looking for some inspiration for leopard print designs you can check out some of my older ones here.

3 comments:

  1. Very good talent of nail design.
    Have you done design on Toenail Art design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The only thing I've ever done to my toes was black dots. My toe nails are very small. Not really worth the work.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love the nails. What fun!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...