Aug 6, 2013

Atomic Lollipop 2013

 I'm back from my weekend at Atomic Lollipop, it was my first time attending it so I didn't really know what to expect. From what I've seen online I could tell it would be a lot of fun.
Overall I`d say my experience was okay. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't suck either. Let me start off by saying that I had decided that I didn't want to leave my stuff under the table over night. Because for some reason I feel better leaving my stuff overnight at a big convention (where there is lots of security and whatnot) but not when it's a smaller one... (where I didn't see any security and saw people walking in and out of the convention without paying and no one checking them?) So at the end of each day I would pack up my stuff in my suitcase and (with help from Justin) I would drag it through the hour long bus and subway rides home. And do it again the next morning. I noticed a couple of people did the same thing, so I don't feel weird about it.
Another thing that bothered me was that the Artist Alley was up on the second floor, on it's own. The first day I didn't see any signs pointing people to go upstairs at all. I'm wondering why it was set up like this, I'm sure they could have found a room or a hallway (on the main floor) were we could have all set up in. I know for a fact a lot of people didn't know there was stuff upstairs because every time I'd go downstairs Id over hear people say 'Hey where did she come from? There's stuff up stairs!?'
The convention was a 3 day event and the first day (as usual) was the worst day! I think I made like 2 or 3 sales. I was trying to stay positive and reminded myself the first day at any convention is usually the worst. 
The next day was a lot better. I let Justin bring in his booklet of his prints because I saw there was room on the table for it, and thought why not? (he did end up making a few sales) I made way more sales and made back the table plus transit cost at the end of the day, which is always my goal at these things. Spread the word about my art and try to break even.
The last day wasn't as good as the day before (sale-wise), the only reason the 3rd day was my favourite day was because I had sold my one cat painting. It's always a bittersweet moment when someone decides to buy one of my paintings. So happy to see someone likes it that much, they want to own it. But also sad to see it go because it used to decorate my shelf. But this just means I have room now for new paintings!
So at the end of it all I guess I'm happy that I went. The people that were actually interested in my artwork bought something and/or took my business card. (Sometimes I feel at the bigger conventions people just walk around grabbing cards without looking or caring.) I had a fun experience, I bought an UH OH shirt, and had some free food. (which is one of the pros to smaller cons) people were pretty nice. I met some very nice people within the Artist Alley, and even did some art trades!
So will I be attending this convention again? Well, if the Artist Alley is on the main floor or in the open, next year then... yes probably. We shall have to see though.

P.S. Hey, I found this video someone took walking around the Artist Alley. You can find me at around the 50 second mark. Please note the video isn't that exciting, haha.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it wasn't amazing for you but great to hear you sold one of your paintings. Hopefully next year they will make it all on the same floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds fun and we hope you do even better next year. Do you have an etsy account? We really like your stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will in the next few months. Thanks. :]

      Delete
  3. ah, your pieces are so darling! i love the blue one with the girl and the bow, so cute!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its one of the paintings I've been trying to find a good home for, for a while. >.<
      Hopefully I'll find it a home soon.

      Delete
  4. LOVE your work, they are so adorable! I am also looking forward to your Esty shop :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...