Jun 2, 2014

I made a dress: Care Bears

The weekend after I made my first dress, I went out to get some more fabric to make another dress. I enjoyed making that first dress so much. I was really excited to make another one to see if I could fix some of my mistakes from the first dress. I went to a few fabric shops in Toronto and I did find a few I really liked but they were pricey! The last place I went to I found this fabric kind of hidden under some other kid fabric. The rainbows are what caught my eye, haha.
I also ended up picking up some Barbie fabric, but I don't think I'll be making that dress for a few weeks. June looks like it'll be a busy month for me. Anyways, on to some pictures!
Look, it's actually fitted! I learned that I had to add extra darts because of my bigger bust. The darts I added aren't perfect. They don't exactly line up.. but it's better than having a sack for a dress.
And here's the back. Not too bad. I guess looking at these pictures the length of the dress is fine but I would have preferred it to be a bit longer. I think next time I'm going to try to make the top part of the dress a bit longer.
The good; This second dress is way better! So glad I improved, enough so that I will wear this dress in public. It's cute, it's colourful. Great for conventions! I learned about adding extra darts to the top. I actually washed this dress already and used fabric softener too and it survived. The back of the dress is sooo much better too.

For next time; Make sure the darts I add are lined up and make them look nice. make the dress a bit longer. Probably make the top longer because the skirt already uses so much fabric. Make the neck line lower. Try a side zipper. Try adding sleeves or a collar.

P.S. I showed my mom some of the pictures of the new dresses I made and she was pretty shocked that I made them. She went out and bought me some fabric that wasn't 'childish' (her words), so expect a more 'adult looking' dress in the future. The fabric she picked out isn't bad just not something I'd pick out for myself.

16 comments:

  1. Ughhhh sooo cute! It looks great. Wearable projects are the best.. can't believe it's only your second one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I agree, wearable projects are the best

      Delete
  2. Great job! You even placed the care bear in the center of the bodice!! The swirly rainbow pattern looks great! Awesome job! I want to whip out a dress over the weekend now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! I wish I knew how to sew like that. Incredible. I'd like to order one now please. I wanna be a care bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more fabric, i'd make another one for sure

      Delete
  4. This may just be the best dress I have ever seen! You're ridiculously talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG so good!!! I've been looking for some cute kid's sheets to sew with at my local Goodwill, but no luck so far!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding cute sheets is hard sometimes but keep looking!

      Delete
  6. This dress is fantastic! Whenever I try to sew it goes really wrong, so I admire anyone who makes it work, way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is magnificent, I love all the bright colors! BY THE WAY I am now a proud follower of your colorful and creative blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and YAY for new followers! :D

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...